- Don't over-wash your hair. Too much washing can exacerbate the problem making it rough. In as much as hygiene is important, you want to also give it a rest once in a while. You can also condition it without having to wash it to be comfortable. You can condition the hair every night, but washing it every two nights.
- Try using argon oil. It is a great remedy for dry hair since it has emollients that soften and shine the hair. It also makes the hair silky hence making it easier to brush and manage. There are very affordable options in the market today and you will love the results you get from using the oil. The hair absorbs this oil slowly achieving that silky feel and soft sheen without leaving it greasy.
- Avoid too much brushing. Dry hair does not react well with brushing and over doing it could lead to breakage. You can finger comb the hair to keep such breakages at bay. It is actually a very good way of distributing scalp natural oils to the shafts. If you must use a comb, go for the wide-tooth combs to minimize breakages.
- It is also important to keep off harsh products which only make the hair dry. Instead of using mousses, gels and spray, use a good conditioner on a regular basis. You can use two different kinds of conditioners for normal shampooing and for hair mask treatments.
- Take fish oil. Fish oil has important omega 3 fatty oils and acids which are great for skin, hair and joints. At the same time, they prevent inflammation. Apart from helping with dry texture by moisturizing it, you will reap other benefits when using the pills. You should also include fish oil and healthy fats in your diet to help dry hair.
- Use hair products with natural ingredients only. The best ingredients include olive oil, Shea butter and avocado oil. The more natural ingredients your products have the better they will be for your hair. It is advisable to go through the ingredients list on the products before making a purchase.
- Give your hair a break. This means leaving it as natural as possible. Keep off chemical treatments and dyes and allow the hair to rest. This will give it time to repair and rejuvenate; hence you will have better hair growth. If you braid too much, you should take breaks in between the braiding to let the hair breathe. The same goes for weaving. Giving the hair a little break to breathe will work great in improving its condition. It is also helpful to give hot styling a rest.
By Jovia D'Souza